Applications of a Storyboard Template
The concept of storyboarding began in the entertainment industry, movie production particularly. There, it is used to outline the specific actions to be taken for each scene of a movie script to aid in the understanding of the script. Over the years, storyboarding has, however, extended beyond the entertainment industry. Storyboarding applications can also be seen in other industries like website development and application development.
Below, I will be discussing the applications of a storyboarding template in these industries and how it is used to achieve the intended goals.
Application of a storyboard template in website development.
The use of a storyboard template to develop a functioning and customer-oriented website has proven to be effective for the following reasons:
- Aids in outlining the design(s) necessary to build the website
- Determines and defines the elements that go on each page
- Creates an information flow and how they interconnect to build an interactive user experience
- Reduces the risk of skipping over details vital to each page
- Allows for easy navigation of the website.
How to create a website using a storyboard template
There are five simple procedures that you need to follow to create a website using a storyboard template. They include:
- Gather all the necessary information that your website requires. This includes everything from your contents, logo design, texts and fonts, background color, e.t.c.
- Separate and sort out all this information into different storyboard templates you’ve chosen. Arrange them at your discretion of “what should be on what page.”
- Outline the structure of the storyboards using the appropriate storyboard elements( navigation bar, segue, main links, imagery). Connect the storyboards using these elements, and make iterations to informational details where necessary.
- Check out the informational flow to see if anything is missing or doesn’t correlate. Also, make sure that the details on each storyboard template are just as your users can assimilate at a time( not too stuffy).
- Test out the layout of your website as if you are the user to see if everything is in place and satisfactory as a user would expect it to be.
Application of a storyboard template in software development
Storyboarding has become the bony framework of software development. It is now used to develop software designs and applications. Using a storyboard template for software development has proven to be effective for the following reasons:
- It prevents unnecessary messing up of codes and numbers
- Speeds up the visual representation of your application’s prototype
- Avoids the possible risk of errors and mistakes in the course of development.
How to create an application using a storyboard template
I will take you through 7 procedures that you would employ to create an IOS application using a storyboard template. These seven procedures include:
- Create a rough draft or sketch of your app’s menu and tools on different storyboards tagged as ” settings,” “mainboards,” “on boards,” and any other relevant to your app.
- Create a connection between the storyboards and arrange the order of tasks accordingly.
- Trace a form of progression through the storyboards so that each ending point accomplishes the intended task.
- Add other minute details like tab bars and status relevant to the app’s functioning. Also, please choose a color and background and maintain its consistency
- Add sliders, buttons, indicators, table views, and other navigators where necessary.
- Make sure you clean-cut the path to avoid cluttering the storyboard. This will also prevent misinterpretation of instructions by the app.
- Make your final edits and adjust where necessary.
Learn more: What is Story Mapping?