About the Product Designer Position:
We are looking for an exceptional product designer to join a tight 4 person design/product team tasked with developing a fast growing innovation & collaboration software serving over 350 businesses in the US and worldwide. You will provide a detail orientated approach to solving complex usability and design problems. Working out of our Berkeley head office you will play a significant role in defining the overall direction and design of the software and quickly be expected to take on full control over features that will impact hundreds of thousands of end users. You will be working with a great team who truly believe in taking the time to allow a user-centred design processes to solve tough problems.
IdeaScale is a fast growing SaaS provider that streamlines the collection and selection of innovative new ideas. This provides a space for corporate collaboration that is more focused on outcomes than most alternative offerings. It is a process that can significantly improve organisations, both in terms of how they interact with people and the balance of their bottom-lines.
From a design and product perspective this creates a fascinating space that combines enterprise management and collaboration tasks with consumer focused UI for idea collection. You will be joining a 4 person team, with your job split into two key functions:
- Ownership of key development areas and problem statements. You will be asked to provide intuitive and effective solutions to solve customer challenges and improve workflows, requiring a strong attention to detail and a demonstrated ability to own projects throughout their lifecycle.
- Contribute to a strong visual aesthetic. You will be the second specialized designer on the team and will, therefore, be expected to provide strong final designs, demonstrating visual polish as well as strong interactions.
This is a great position for a candidate with a strong design background who has the acumen and desire to grow into a strategic role that helps define key product objectives. As a growing organization we can offer the successful candidate the ability to significantly impact the way we serve our customers and help define the gold standard in our space.
- Buy into a design process heavily focused on customer research, personas and scenarios.
- Consistently provide visually strong designs with well developed user workflows.
- Develop a deep understanding or our product and market.
- Identify key customer needs and champion possible solutions.
- Provide project management for key customer requests.
- Work within a team that respects all opinions, but pulls together to rapidly deliver a quality solution once a final decision is made.
- At least 1 year professional UX or visual design experience, supported by a strong portfolio.
- 4 year college degree or equivalent professional experience.
- Ability to create design resources using photoshop, sketch, invision and/or similar programs.
- Demonstrated ability to think through complex problems and provide coherent solutions (this can be within design or other fields)
- The ideal candidate will demonstrate the ability to use statistics, customer interviews and usability testing to justify designs
- The ideal candidate will be able to demonstrate a strong track record in academic and professional areas beyond their core design competencies
- Looking for design generalists: https://medium.com/intercom-inside/unicorn-designers-dont-exist-generalists-do-4d0b4cada7cf#.a6kd3ffa4
Working at IdeaScale:
We are a medium sized team with two main offices in the US (Berkeley and Washington DC) and local offices based in Germany and Japan. This role will be based in Berkeley, CA – a 2 minute walk from the BART station and within easy striking distance of SF and Oakland. We also allow WFH on Wednesdays to help break up the week for employees with longer commutes.
You will be joining a great team from all walks of life – providing a varied set of interests that almost anyone can find a niche in (at least one of us is way too prepared for the coming zombie apocalypse). Many members of the team have strong friendships beyond the office and this year we even managed a three day company trip to Mexico.
As a designer you will be working on a product deployed in situations as diverse as community policing with the NYPD and identifying breakthrough solar software for the Department of Energy. You will work with a variety of high-profile clients, supporting both internal and external implementations of the software. This creates a great environment for software design, requiring discipline to keep product focus while serving all our customers: we are looking forward to adding someone to the team who will embrace the challenge.
For more information about the position or to submit a resume and cover letter, please contact: [email protected]